"As announced by Mr Teo Ser Luck, Senior Parliamentary Secretary (Transport), foldable bicycles will be allowed on the Rapid Transit System (RTS) and public buses during off-peak hours within stated guidelines with effect from 15 March 2009. The scheme will proceed after taking into account stakeholder feedback from an earlier six-month trial.
Mr Jeremy Yap, LTA's Group Director for Vehicle and Transit Licensing said, "Implementation of this scheme is possible owing to the social graciousness and mutual accommodation of commuters. As a way forward, we hope that cyclists and other commuters will continue to be considerate to one another so that more people can use our public transport system to meet their diverse travel needs. We would like to thank everyone for their participation, support and feedback."
Read the rest here.
Guidelines that will take effect on 15th March 2009:
- Cyclists are responsible for the safe carriage of their foldable bicycles and must stay in the vicinity of their foldable bicycles at all times.
- Foldable bicycles should be folded at all times in the MRT/ LRT stations, bus interchanges/ terminals and on trains and buses.
- Foldable bicycles should not exceed 114 cm by 64 cm by 36 cm when folded.
- The wheels of a foldable bicycle should be wrapped up if they are dirty or wet.
- Protruding parts likely to cause injury or dirty / damage property are to be covered up.
- Foldable bicycles should not block the aisles and doors or impede commuter movement at any time.
- Foldable bicycles should be carried in an upright position.
- Only one foldable bicycle is allowed on each bus at any one time.
- When travelling by train, cyclists should use the first or last car, which is less crowded.
- Cyclists should use the lifts and wide fare gates at MRT/ LRT stations where these are available.
- Foldable bicycles are not allowed on the upper deck of a bus or placed on the staircase leading to the upper deck.
- Foldable bicycles are allowed during the following operating hours:
- Monday to Friday: 9.30am to 4.00pm, 8.00 pm to end of operating hours
- All day on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays
- SMRT / SBS Transit station staff and bus drivers may disallow foldable bicycles if the actual situation within an MRT/ LRT station, bus interchange/ terminal or on board a train / bus does not permit foldable bicycles to be admitted safely and without inconveniencing other commuters.